Apologies to the SWAC for not previewing the conference during the offseason, time did not allow us to dive as deeply as would have liked into the catacombs and intricacies of the Southwestern Athletic Conference. Alas. Here’s a quick look at how the conference tourney will play out:
Who I want to win: Texas Southern. They are by far the best team in this league (16-2) and the only one worthy of a Big Dance berth.
Who I think will win: Texas Southern should roll. Alabama State, Jackson State, and even Alabama A&M could shake things up, but ultimately this is the Tigers’ tournament to lose.
Chance to make a run: The SWAC winner has historically received a 16-seed in the tournament and this year should be no different, though I do think Texas Southern has an outside shot at avoiding the dreaded play-in game. Ultimately, there really is no hope of advancing past the first round for any school in this conference.
How it plays out:
(8) Alabama A&M defeats (9) Arkansas Pine-Bluff
(7) Mississippi Valley State defeats (10) Grambling State
(1) Texas Southern defeats (8) Alabama A&M
(5) Alabama State defeats (4) Southern
(2) Alcorn State defeats (7) Mississippi Valley State
(3) Jackson State defeats (6) Prairie View A&M
(1) Texas Southern defeats (5) Alabama State
(3) Jackson State defeats (2) Alcorn State
(1) Texas Southern defeats (3) Jackson State
Texas Southern earns a 16-seed, and loses the play-in game to a stronger 16 such as Austin Peay.